Friday, October 2, 2009

Buffalo

We’re driving east on I-90 toward Buffalo and all of the sudden on the left-hand side we spot a huge expanse of steel gray water. Lake Erie. It seems much sadder than Lake Michigan. Something about it also seems wilder. I can almost see the buffalo that must have roamed these shores a millennia ago.

We enter New York state for the first time in two weeks and we’re overwhelmed with joy. Another hour and we’re in the outskirts of Buffalo, where we head straight to Ted’s for some hot dogs.

After our quick snack, we head for Tom’s house (Jeremiah's uncle) in North Buffalo, where we will spend the night. We have enough time to drop off our luggage before we head to Mohawk Place, where we will play the middle slot, sandwiched between two local acts, Patrons of Sweet and Johnny Nobody.

We backload our equipment on to the stage and settle in at the bar. It’s Gavin’s birthday. We enjoy a few Old Vienna's and Labatt's. I feel very close to Canada. In fact, it’s right across the water. I can see it. Buffalo has a very Northern feel; cold, with gray skies, gray buildings. Will is definitely sick now. He’s sleeping in the van wrapped in his sleeping bag.

The place starts to fill up with the Joyce clan. Jeremiah introduces us to so many people it’s hard to keep track of who is who. Patron of Sweet plays through their set as Gavin rocks out. Their music is right up his ally. A little birthday treat for our DC man.

I wake Will up toward the end of their set and climb into the back seat with the acoustic guitar so we can warm up our voice. We warm up with 'Oh, Yoko' by John Lennon and 'Dishes' by Pulp, two of the few songs we know how to cover. We declare the vibe of the show to be 'Do it for Jarvis.'

We burn through our set, sprinkling in some requested songs we haven’t playing in a while ('Beat of My Heart' and 'This Summer'). The vibe is good. The crowd is really into it, which always lifts up our spirits.

After us are Johnny Nobody. Great sound. Jeremiah thinks they sound like the Archie Bronson Outfit. Anyway, they rock. I also think that the singer looks like Eamon, Jeremiah’s brother. But I keep that to myself (except for Will, who I tell immediately after the thought comes into my head).

After the show, we go back to uncle Tom’s house to eat chicken wings and pizza. Well, all of us except the birthday boy. He goes off with some new friends and takes my phone with him so he can get in touch with us later (he left his own phone in DC the first night of the tour). I keep on reminding everyone that we need to catch up with Gavin, but they keep on telling me that that will not be happening. I don’t understand why. He’s just hanging out with some girls, and it’s his birthday.

Really late at night, Jeremiah and I play Frisbee in the street. Jeremiah is holding a beer in one hand and I don’t have shoes on. This is how the night ends. For those of us at uncle Tom’s house, at least. Thanks to everyone in Buffalo, especially the Joyce family for all their support and hospitality. See you next time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home